Acne is on the rise in adult women. This is also true for those that are pregnant. There is a chance that your acne may actually improve during pregnancy, although a small one. But lots of women get worsening of their acne while they are pregnant. In fact, it’s one of the more common complaints I see in pregnant patients.
So what can you do?
1. Prepare. If you are planning a pregnancy, get your acne in best shape it can be before you start trying.
2. Stop all prescription medication and over the counter benzoyl peroxide once you start trying.
3. Use gentle cleansers to wash your face twice daily. Don’t scrub. I usually recommend the same products I recommend to newborns – cetaphil, cerave, neutrogena.
4. Once you are out of the first trimester, azeleic acid may be safe. The active ingredient is a carbohydrate chain – same stuff as corn flakes.
5. Always ask your OB before you start anything.
Other Blog Entries: