Hair Loss Treatment Statistics

Hair Loss Treatment Statistics –

If you’re concerned about thinning hair, you’re not alone. According to a study conducted by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, roughly 35 million men and 21 million women in the United States suffer from some type of hair loss.

In this article, New York, NY hair loss treatment expert Dr. Gary Goldenberg shares some surprising statistics about hair loss and hair restoration treatments.

Hair Loss: Men vs. Women

While one in five men suffers from hair loss, 40% of hair loss sufferers are actually women.

This comes as a surprise to many, because women are more likely to wear wigs and hair extensions that can camouflage hair loss in a way that men don’t. Additionally, because male baldness is more socially acceptable than female hairlessness, very few women will embrace – or even discuss – their hair loss.

Hair Loss by Age

Both men’s and women’s risk of suffering from hair loss significantly increases with age. At age 35 less than half of men – 40% – experience any visible hair loss. However, by the age of 60 up to 65% of men are suffering from noticeable hair loss.

For women, surprisingly, the percentages increase even more dramatically with age. According to a study by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, about 40 percent of women suffer from hair loss by the age of 40. But by age 60 a full 80 percent of all women suffer from some degree of noticeable hair loss.

Hair Loss Perception in Society

Baldness has often been associated with virility – at least by Hollywood. Action stars such as Vin Diesel, Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson, and even a mature Bruce Willis have portrayed some seriously tough dudes with smooth heads.

But in “real life” people’s perception of being “follicly challenged” is far different. Somewhat disturbingly, some surveys reveal that up to 75% of women say they would prefer not to date a man who is bald.

And while many US presidents have had “unusual” hair – only five US presidents have ever actually been bald. In fact, since the advent of television, Americans haven’t voted a bald president into office. The last bald president elected was when Dwight Eisenhower won a second term over Adlai Stevenson in 1956.

So, while crazy hair may not keep you from getting elected (George Washington powdered his long, frizzy ponytail to make it white) – it appears that being bald is not ideal for getting elected in the age of 24/7 media coverage.

Hair Loss Treatment Statistics

For men suffering from hair loss, topical minoxidil (Rogaine), was tried by 85 percent of men looking for a “baldness cure.” The other 15 percent of men tried finasteride (Propecia). And a much smaller percentage tried other treatments, such as a low level laser therapy, vitamins or herbal treatments.

Additionally, in the United States more than 100,000 hair restoration surgeries or “hair transplants” are performed every year.

However, in a study by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery only 60 percent of patients were happy with their hair transplant results after the initial surgery, and 9 in 10 needed two surgeries to get ideal results.

Hair transplants cost from $5,000 to $20,000 – depending upon the surgical procedure used and the number of hair follicles that need to be harvested and transplanted.

Newest Hair Loss Treatments New York, NY

Two new, non-surgical, 100% natural hair restoration treatments are now available that stop hair loss and regrow hair. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections and Stem Cell Injections are state-of-the-art hair loss treatments that actually work, without surgery, without needing daily medications or creams, and without dangerous side effects.

Each individual’s hair loss is different. So PRP will work better for some patients, while stem cell treatments may work better for others. Or a combination of both may be most effective.

New York, NY Hair Loss Treatment

At our New York City dermatology practice, our experienced hair loss treatment doctors offer both Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Stem Cell hair loss treatments.

We are one of only a few medical practices in New York, NY anywhere in on the East Coast offering these innovative and highly effective new hair loss treatments. Call us today and schedule an appointment to see if PRP or Stem Cell hair loss treatments are right for you!

New York, NY Hair Loss Treatments: 212-405-8202

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply